Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2026

EOTO trial

 

EOTO Slavery mock trial 

John Mann was a slave owner and Lidia was a slave. She became aggressive one day she was angry and upset one day and try to run away and John Mann  shot her in the back and she was only wounded. He was tried on a murder trial and only was fined 10 dollars he appealed and lost and now appealed to this court of north Carolina the appeal was that the 10 dollar fine was injustice. 

The state of North Carolina argues that even though he didn't kill her he physically hurt her and that was enough. Say that the way he handled her behavior was enough to fine him. We cannot have a system where there are no rules. 

Mann was not the slave owner but just a renter and does not have that power over Lidia, Ms. Jones was the owner and had all the power. With that he destroyed her property also. 

The defendants argue for John Mann. Under a binding contract he rented out the slave for a year, and because of that contract he does have that ownership.

If North Carolina had a book of law where they would write this law where it would say “ you can’t harm a slave” but in the end it only says you can’t kill a slave. There is no exception to this law and only asking to give a reasonable punishment.

 What I found interesting about this case is that the only Law was you can't kill a slave, when I thought it was illegal to any harm since you pay for them. I also found interesting is that you can rent and have a contract between a slave, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reaction post

  Reaction Post  I learned several important facts from Francesca's case study on State v. Mann that I had never heard of. She began by ...