Heat Of The Night
I expected In the Heat of the Night to be a simple crime story, but instead of focusing on the murder mystery itself, I ended up thinking more about racism, pride, and power. The story stays with me because, in my opinion, the plot is really a platform for a much deeper conversation.
Without a doubt, the character that most connected with me was Virgil Tibbs. He is smart, composed, and totally unable to change who he is in order to please those around him. I was impressed by the fact that he never raises his voice to make a point. The hatred aimed against him seems unbelievable because of his expertise, which speaks for itself. I discovered that I was rooting for him because of his brilliance and self-control, not because the script needed it.
Reactions to Gillespie are more complex. To be honest, I didn't like him at first. He is defensive, quick to pass judgment, and plainly uneasy about the possibility that a Black detective is more informed than he is. However, I liked that the story does not readily free him. By the end, I like how the story used him to show that change is possible, even if it's slow and reluctant. His growth felt earned rather than rushed.
To be honest, the setting practically has a character of its own. I was actually uncomfortable watching because of the mood created by the heat, tension, and lack of trust in every conversation. I believe the discomfort was intentional, and it had what I wanted on me.
The story's refusal to provide simple solutions is what I valued most. It would have been easy to make Gillespie a complete villain or a fully forgiven ally, but I thought it was more honest for him to stay in the middle. The fact that Tibbs is never reduced to a symbol also spoke to me. Despite prejudice in his surroundings, he has a unique sense of self, weaknesses, and frustrations.
If I had one critique, it would be that, in comparison to Tibbs and Gillespie, a few of the secondary characters seemed a bit weak. Beyond how the locals respond to Tibbs' presence, I was interested in finding out more about them. However, I don't believe that takes away from the main plot.
By the end, I was interested more in how Tibbs and Gillespie traveled through the same town than in who had done the crime. I recommend it to anyone who is prepared to sit with some discomfort while reading because that contrast is truly the core of the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment