Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2026

Final


 Summer advantage 

I wasn't sure what to expect when I was going to be at High point university for four weeks in the summer before I actually started my freshman year in the fall. At the end of this it taught me what most incoming freshman don't know. Before all the stress of multiple class and more work, this taught me how to manage my time, being away from home, and know my way around campus. By the time I am officially here I will already know how to do all of that. 

DIS1000 which brought our class together because we were all together everyday five days a week. We quickly went from strangers to friends when we were all able to see each other around campus and be with each other everyday. As the weeks passed, people were more comfortable speaking up and debating with one another which led to better conversations. 

I found the topic of freedom and law to be the most difficult in this class. Instead of simply talking about the 14th amendment in general, we worked through multiple trials to apply the ideas of equal protection and due process to an actual cases. I found out how much thought goes into every court decision by creating arguments, and looking into the evidence. 

We also watched gone with the wind and Heat of the night to bring these ideas into our imagination. Comparing two films made it clear to me how much the country has changed and how much more it needs to still needs to change. 

Academic achievement was important, but so was personal development. This was the first major period of time I had lived alone, and it made me take responsibilites that I had never dealt with previously, like scheduling my own time or just getting to class, At first, it appeared weird, but by the end it felt normal, and I left much more independent than when I first arrived. 

Living here for the past four weeks has made me develop as a person. I was able to get out of my own bubble and get out my comfort zone and meet others. Being on my own pushed me to make friends more quickly than I ever would have. I made so many friends within these past four weeks thanks to summer advantage. Being here they encourage you to talk to everyone and get to know campus. I now have people that I can trust and already have a head start before everyone arrives. I am truly so great for summer advantage for all the experiences that it gave me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reaction post

  Reaction Post  I learned several important facts from Francesca's case study on State v. Mann that I had never heard of. She began by ...