Market place of ideas
What does it mean?
The idea of the market place of idea says what is the best way to find the truth and its not through control or authority saying what is right, but by a debate between different point if views. This all began with philosopher John Stuart Mill and was made popular in American law, which believed the best way of the trust is to stand up to criticism and still be accepted in the free market.
Actually, this means letting both good and bad opinions be talked about in public. Based on the theory the best ideas will naturally come out when people speak freely.
what does this mean to me?
When I think about the market place of ideas I don't think of a court room or anything with the law, because sometimes in those setting you can't truly debate how you feel and what your truth is. When I think off the market place of ideas I think of something such as walking around town with some friends because no one is telling them what is right and what's wrong of what their discussion is.
To me this value is more about protecting the process itself than protecting ideas that I agree with. If I hear and argument with opinions I don't agree with, or that is offensive to someone and they were hurt by the comment. I have to realize I can't stay silent but try and see why those people feel that way, and try to reason with them.
My opinion
I personally think the Market Place of Ideas is one of the most important values.Yes the idea of letting the best idea win, but in reality not everyone has the same resources or platform when they enter the market. A correction that means no harm won't spread as quickly as a lie.
Still, I don't believe giving up on an idea is the answer. In my opinion you should take the debate seriously enough to participate in it, This includes confirming information before telling anyone, listing to the other point of view and having an open mind.
Why does it matter?
This value matters to me because it acts as a reminder that the right to freedom of speech is not only expression. It is the ability to pay attention and participate. The marketplace only works if its members are willing to challenges and listen to others point of view rather then just yell at each other.
I believe That protecting this is still important because in this society that we live in there is more false information then there has ever been. The chaos of debate seem to be more risky than another option, which is to allow some to have their own ideas, because in society everyone thinks they have to have the same opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment