Gone with the wind
This past week I sat down with my class and watched with gone with the wind, and finally understood why it is such a popular movie. I thought it would be an old fashion, slow type of movie, but it was much more than I expected.
There is a lot about Scarlett O'Hare , she is spoiled, but mart. She is used to getting what she wants. At first I thought she was very annoying. The more I watched, the more I liked her determination. She doesn't care what people think about her, which is surprising for a woman in that era. At the end of it I did come to like her and who she was as a person.
Next is Ashley Wilkes, to me he was kinda just there, boring. He didn't seem like a person with much personality to him but more like a gentleman. I do get Scarletts obsession with him in the beginning of the movie. I could tell though her feeling for him wasn't because of his true character but because she likes the idea of him.
Rhett Butler was definitely my favorite . I personally think that every time he came onto the screen the movie would get better. My favorite part of him was his humor, he was always sarcastic which I relate to. He never cares about the rules of the South. Rhett was the type of person to do what he wants and say what everyone else was thinking.
I did really like Melanie. She is much stronger than everyone thinks she is. She's a nice person but not stupid. I feel as the story goes she will be more important to the story.
I do have very mixed feeling about the movie. For the time is was being filmed it was really good, my favorite part was when Atlanta was on fire. But in some parts of the movie it was slow and a little boring, I found it difficult to see how the film skips over slavery and sorta romanticized life on a plantation.
The first half attention was on how each character's reaction of their world falling apart instead of the Civil war itself, that really stood out to me. Scarlett won't admit that anything is changing. Ashley is upset about everything. Rhett already knows what is going to happen. Melanie just takes it in with being quiet.
By the end of the movie I was more interested in the characters than the actual war itself. I'm interested to see if Scarlett ever grows up or just becomes more stubborn. Rhett is the one one being honest with everyone and I hope to see him get some credit for thinking in the reality and not the expectation.
No comments:
Post a Comment